- This event has passed.
Middle School “Kayak Kamp” (ages 12-14)
August 7, 2019, 10:00 am-1:00 pm$40
“Calling all Campers… Calling all Kampers!!
Please join us this summer for our first-ever “Kayak Kamp!” Together, we’ll get to enjoy lots of fresh air, enjoy the sport of paddling and take in the sights and sounds of our city as we paddle through Downtown Milwaukee and/or our Harbor & Menomonee River Valley (see schedule below). These Kamps will be informational and a lot of fun as you learn about basic paddle strokes, learn about different types of kayaks and paddles, learn how to fit yourself and other people with the proper life jacket and how to enter and exit a kayak from a dock.
Upon arrival, we will gather as a group, host introductions, review the rules of the river and outfit everyone with the proper kayak, life jacket and paddle. We will then begin our learning session before venturing out on the river. We will make sure everyone is comfortable on-land before we launch from our dock.
We will paddle together as a group. Beth from Milwaukee Kayak Company (MKC) and Sherri Mertz from Sherrikayaks.com will be leading and guiding all of our “Kayak Kamps.” Depending on the group size, we may have extra safety boaters with us as well. Closer to the date of the Kayak Kamp, Beth from MKC will email everyone who registered with other details and information. At anytime, please call with questions (414) 301-2240.
We plan to be on the river for about 2 hours with one rest-stop along the way. At the rest-stop, we will stretch a bit and have our snack/lunch break. Please bring your own snack/lunch and beverage. If you forget, we’ll have extra healthy snacks on-hand for you to enjoy.
“Middle School Kayak Kamp” is intended for adolescents 12-14 years of age and (up to) those that just completed 8th grade (or entering freshman high school status in Fall 2019).
“High School Kayak Kamp” is intended for young adults ages 15-17 years of age and are sophomore and junior status in Fall 2019 and those students entering their senior year of high school in Fall 2019. Recent high school graduates should utilize our daily rental option – thanks for your understanding.
MIDDLE SCHOOL “KAYAK KAMP” SCHEDULE:
#1) Wednesday, July 24th: Harbor + Menomonee River
#2) Wednesday, August 7th: Milwaukee River / Downtown Milwaukee
HIGH SCHOOL “KAYAK KAMP” SCHEDULE:
#1) Wednesday, July 31st: Harbor + Menomonee River
* The High School Kamps may include a short on-land river cleanup during our break or we may have a guest speaker join us for a brief chat about our rivers… this is TBD and will be included in the reminder email sent the week prior to the event.
10am: please arrive at 10am
* please do not drop off before 9:45am
10am-10:45: introduction, outfitting and learning session
10:45/11am: launch from our dock
1pm: return back to our dock
ALL REGISTERED PARTICIPANTS MUST:
– Be at least 12 years of age
– Know how to swim
– Be comfortable near and on the water
– Wear your life jacket at all times when near or on the water
– Review waiver and have parent/guardian review and sign waiver (waivers can be printed at home and brought in the day of your camp or they can be filled out at time of drop-off with parent/guardian present)
WE WILL PROVIDE:
– Safe and fun atmosphere
– Kayak, life jacket and paddle
– Snacks and beverage if you forget your snacks/lunch
– Waiver reviewed and signed by parent/guardian (can fill out at time of drop-off too)
– Water bottle filled with water
– Small cooler okay
– Dress for the weather – consider bringing a windbreaker (do not wear jeans or heavy cotton)
We are really looking forward to these guided Kayak Kamps. If you have any questions, please email or call Beth from Milwaukee Kayak Company: