Sunset Kayak Tour w/ Menomonee Valley Partners
June 30, 5:15 pm-8:00 pm$35
In 1999, visionary partners came together to create Menomonee Valley Partners, a public/private partnership with a mission of revitalizing the Menomonee River Valley for the benefit of the greater Milwaukee community. Twenty years later, the Menomonee River Valley is vibrant and thriving with a national reputation as a model for economic development and environmental sustainability.
To celebrate 20 years of transformation, Menomonee Valley Partners & Milwaukee Kayak Company are partnering to create a unique paddling experience to explore the Menomonee River and its canals. We will learn about its history and how this area was vital to Milwaukee’s growth, the unique projects that made it a national model of environmental sustainability, and the exciting developments in the works! A member from Menomonee Valley Partners will lead our trip along with staff from Milwaukee Kayak Company. These trips are safe, fun and educational. They are perfect for anyone looking to experience the sport of kayaking either solo or with friends, make a nice outing for family and friends and makes the perfect date night too!
Space is limited, pre-registration is required. We will paddle upriver as far as time allows before turning around and paddling back to our dock.
• Cost: $35 per person ($15 of each ticket will be donated to Menomonee Valley Partners)*
• Space is limited | pre-registration required
• If this trip needs to be cancelled due to weather and river conditions, we will notify you by phone and/or email and you will receive a full refund.
We care about our community and organizations working hard to maintain and cleanup our rivers and surrounding eco-systems. These tours are a fundraiser for Menomonee Valley Partners. and $15 of each ticket will be donated back to Menomonee Valley Partners.
We are also taking the COVID-19 pandemic very seriously (link to our COVID info page) and have new policies and procedures in place for this season. If we feel that this tour needs to be cancelled due to this, we will notify you in advance and refund your ticket. If you need to cancel for any reason, please let us know in advance (thanks!) so we can release your reservation and issue you a refund. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
DATES: (we are offering 3 tours and the format will be similar for all tours)
#1) Tuesday, June 30th
#2) Friday, September 18th (Valley Week)
• 5:00-5:15pm: Please arrive to MKC before or at 5:15pm
• 5:15-5:45pm: Introduction, instruction and fitting
• 5:45pm: Launch from our dock
• 7:45/8pm: Arrive back to MKC dock
WHAT TO EXPECT:
We will paddle as a group. We will launch from our dock, paddle upriver and then paddle back to our dock. There are no stops on this tour but if you need to take a break, we can do so at a location that works best for the whole group. Staff from Menomonee Valley Partners and Milwaukee Kayak Company will paddle with the group.
WHAT TO BRING:
• Water bottle filled with water
• Small coolers okay
• Dress for the weather – consider bringing a windbreaker (do not wear jeans or heavy cotton)
• A headlamp or two (we have extras)
• Towel to sit on (optional)
WHAT WE WILL PROVIDE:
• Life jacket
• Dry-bag (if available)
• Water, snacks and sunscreen are always on-hand
• Safe and fun atmosphere
• Guides and a safety boater(s) always accompany our guided tours
WHAT TO WEAR:
• Lightweight clothing (do not wear jeans or heavy cotton)
• Sandals, flips or shoes with a thin sole
• Rain jacket/windbreaker
• Sunglasses and/or hat
• We will check you in.
• We will outfit you with the proper kayak, life jacket and paddle.
• We will have introductions, review information and rules of the river.
• Life jackets must be worn at all times when you are near or on the river.
Please contact Beth at Milwaukee Kayak Company
ABOUT THE MENOMONEE RIVER VALLEY:
The Menomonee River extends from the confluence of the Milwaukee and Menomonee Rivers in Downtown Milwaukee to Miller Park Stadium. The Menomonee River Valley is 4 miles long, 1/2 mile wide and its history runs deep. From wild rice marshes in the 1700s, to the site of the first trading post (c. 1795, Jacques Vieau, fur trader) to heavy manufacturing, the Valley has been in continuous motion without ever moving an inch. And now, with the community working together to create a vibrant future for the Valley, it’s home to thousands of jobs, entertainment experiences, nature, and outdoor exploration – including paddling!
*ABOUT MENOMONEE VALLEY PARTNERS:
Menomonee Valley Partners, Inc. is a Section 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a mission to revitalize and sustain the Menomonee Valley as a thriving urban district that advances economical, ecological, and social equity for the benefit of the greater Milwaukee community.
We envision a thriving Valley with a well-balanced mix of industrial, recreational, and entertainment uses that strengthen Milwaukee:
* economically, with strong companies and jobs near workers’ homes;
* ecologically, with sustainable development and environmental stewardship;
* geographically, with renewed ties to surrounding neighborhoods; and
* equitably, with opportunities for all.